Wednesday, January 25, 2012

We Start and End With Family

My grandfather is the youngest of four brothers. Earlier this week, his oldest brother, my great-uncle, passed away. He was the first one of the four to go, and in many ways, it is the end of an era.
The four brothers
I used to think that someone should make a movie about them. But then I realized by Hollywood's standards their lives wouldn't make a good story.  But for me, theirs would be one of the greatest.

They are all wonderful, Godly men. Each married to one wife for over fifty years - over 200 years of marriage between them. Uncle Wendell, who just passed, served in World War II. All of them have an robust work ethic. All of them have gone through trials, but have come through them, not necessarily more successful, but better and stronger on the other side. I am thankful for the example each of them have set for my extended family over the years.  They each not only give good advice, but live good advice. Oh, that I would the same.
Au revoir, Uncle Wendell - until we meet again.
Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.  ~Anthony Brandt

No comments:

Post a Comment